Who We Look For
Camp Rising Sun counselors are passionate, caring, and skilled individuals with a strong commitment to our goals and mission. Counselors model positive behavior and mentor campers as they step outside their comfort zones and take on new roles. Our counselors are highly attentive to the needs of the community and take time to give and receive feedback. Staff members at Camp Rising Sun are chosen for many of the same reasons that the campers are. They embody the intellect, character, evidence of leadership, and individuality that will contribute in positive ways to the community created over the summer. It is the staff member’s role to guide the campers through thoughtful questioning, to push the campers to their best thinking and decision making as campers take on leadership responsibilities that will affect themselves and their community, and to give feedback for growth after an experience.
While staff members each specialize in a program area, all counselors are first and foremost general counselors. Primary responsibilities, regardless of position, include:
- Participate in all scheduled activities.
- Supervise campers overnight (this may include sleeping outdoors).
- Assist in large-scale projects, productions, or activities.
- Act as Counselor of the Day on a rotating basis; manage the staff team and work directly with one or two campers to run program.
- Participate in regular meetings with the Camp Director and staff team.
- Participate in Program evaluation and self-evaluation.
- Give instructions (90 minute workshops) on personal or program area expertise.
- Maintain a substance-free campus.
Working at Camp Rising Sun for a summer includes full room and board. Staff are given one day off per week and two hours off per day.
Candidates should be highly skilled and proficient within the program areas for which they are applying, and have special training, education or experience in these areas. Again, all staff members (with the exception of administrative, medical, and kitchen staff) are first and foremost general counselors, and their program area duties do not excuse them from participating in all other aspects of the daily program.
We are currently accepting applications for the following positions. If you are interested in a position that is not listed below, please consider applying as a volunteer counselor or visiting camp to give an instruction over the summer.
Medical Director / Assistant Medical Director
- Must be licensed emergency medical technician, physician, nurse practitioner, physician assistant, registered nurse or licensed practical nurse licensed to operate in the state of New York.
- Must possess current certificate in a first aid training program.
- Must possess current certificate in a CPR training program.
- Should have prior experience working with youth. Patience, a calm demeanor, and excellent organizational skills are required.
- Treat all illnesses and injuries on site and provide consultation to staff handling illnesses and injuries off-site.
- Supervise and schedule medical staff (3-4 team members).
- Communicate with health care providers to make appointments, arrange for hospitalization, and set up follow-up care.
- Communicate any reportable illnesses or injuries to the local Health Department.
- Maintain camper and staff health records, including incident reports, in a confidential and professional manner.
- Maintain and dispense prescription and over-the-counter medications in a safe manner.
- Communicate with parents about campers’ medical conditions, as needed.
- Maintain adequate supplies in the Health Office and at other locations, such as the pool, the vans, and the hiking trip first aid kits.
- Purchase and organize supplies within a budget; Track all spending.
- The Assistant Medical Director assists in all of the above, as well as serving as Medical Director when they are off-site.
If you are interested in working at CRS this summer, please fill out a staff application.
If you would like to provide a reference, please fill out the reference form.
If you would like to volunteer at Camp this summer, please fill out the volunteer staff application.