We had a wonderful time making maple syrup last weekend at Camp Rising Sun. 30 alumni spanning 4 decades braved the cold weather and joined us at Clinton to learn how to make maple syrup from scratch. We had our biggest turnout yet for what has become a Camp Rising Sun tradition.
Maple syrup magic begins when Cameron taps the trees to collect the sap in the weeks leading up to the day. On Saturday, volunteers took turns to boil the sap outdoors until the excess water evaporated. Other alumni gathered around the fire for warmth and conversation.
Inside, alumni were busy filtering the syrup multiple times until the golden elixir was ready to be bottled. Meanwhile, kids and adults alike cut out labels for the bottles. It was a great opportunity to step into the spirit of teamwork and project time.
Once the hard work was completed, we all enjoyed a delicious lunch and great conversations followed. We were excited to see alumni from different generations come together, some meeting for the first time.
If you are in the New York area, we would love to see you in our future events. Camp Rising Sun events also occur around the globe so remember to get in touch with your local Alumni Association to join their events.
- April 29th: Board Meeting, New York Camper Welcome Session followed by Alumni Cocktail Reception hosted by NYAA.
- May 20-21: May Volunteer Weekend. Join us at Camp to help set up tents and reconnect with alumni. Let us know if you will be joining us here.
- June and July: Camper Hosting. What a better way to revisit your CRS experience than to host campers before the they head off to camp?
- Alumni Weekend 2017: The reunion will take place between sessions and alumni are welcome to stay on Tent Hill and join in for the Board Meeting, Alumni Council, projects, instructions, and much more! There will be a special welcome for alumni celebrating 5th, 10th, 20th, 25th, 30th, or 40th, 50th & 60th reunions, who will be able to join the reunion free of charge. Click here to register now!
If you would like to stay in touch with the CRS community, here are a few great ways to do so:
- CRS Facebook page: Updates, alumni interviews, events and much more are posted weekly on the Camp Rising Sun Facebook page.
- Newsletter: Are you receiving our monthly newsletter with the latest updates and future events? If you are not, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CRS Alumni Forum: The forum is a virtual meeting place for our CRS community, it is moderated and run by alumni. Join the conversation!
- Linkedin Camp Rising Sun Alumni Group: Connect professionally with Camp Rising Sun alumni across the globe.